[Dovecot] Feature Requests

Andrew Hutchings info at a-wing.co.uk
Tue Aug 16 13:48:06 EEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-14 at 18:23 -0400, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
> On Aug 14, 2005, at 3:21 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 13:34 -0400, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
> >> a - Sqlite support
> > For userdb/passdb? Why is it useful?
>
> SQLite gives you much of the functionality of mysql/postgres support
> right now without the one big caveat -- its a library (not a daemon),
> so email doesn't go down if mysql/postgres does
>
> 1/2 of the people using dovecot will never run into this as an issue,
> as they're likely just using mysql/postgres for development/support use.
>
> but if you're running a webapp that ties into a mysql/postgres server
> that is also hosting the imap/mta accounts , then you can run into
> serious issues if your webapp gets slammed with traffic
>
> you also run into problems if you need to upgrade your sql server, or
> anything odd/bad happens to it
>
> essentially, i want the flexibility of sql without having to worry
> about 2 daemons .

I would have thought everyone using dovecot with mysql/postgres would
use it on a standalone mail server.  At the very least a master-slave or
cluster mysql setup would be used.  Both mysql and postgre and good at
recovering from crash conditions (which I have only ever seen happen on
a bad binary of mysql).
We have a mysql server dedicated to our control panel which is
master-slave to the 2 dovecot mail servers (run in round-robin
connections).
If for some bizarre reason you did put it all in one server you can
protect mysql and postgre from traffic slamming, and if they do get
slammed the load on that server will go up and everything will slow down
on that server including SQLite and dovecot.
The plugin system for dovecot is not too complex, if you do want SQLite
then it shouldn't be hard for you to write it.

Regards
Andrew

--
Andrew Hutchings (A-Wing) - Linux Guru