Dovecot IDLE problem (was Re: [Dovecot] inotify support in dovecot)

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Aug 18 16:02:16 EEST 2005

--On Thursday, August 18, 2005 10:47 PM +1200 Reuben Farrelly
<reuben-dovecot at reub.net> wrote:

> [if a second message is delivered, eg by copying /tmp/1 to
> /tmp/imap-test/new/2 then you should be notified as well, but this never
> occurs]

Is that true? I would think you only want notification one time after each
new command (eg. IDLE), to indicate that the client is out-of-date wrt the
server. It's essentially a "cache dirty" notification. It's then the
client's job to bring itself up to date with the server state, at which
point a new notification is appropriate.

BTW, does IMAP provide any notification ability for folders other than
INBOX? I deliver via procmail to other folders and I believe Mulberry has
to poll them periodically to check for new mail. (Different mailing lists
and different friends each get their own folder.) Doing my filtering
server-side means I don't need to maintain parallel filters on all my
clients, on all the systems I use. (I gotta get around to doing the same
for my address book, setting up an LDAP server.)