[Dovecot] logging beg - again

Peter Gervai grin at grin.hu
Fri Aug 19 14:31:50 EEST 2005

Hello,

[Old problem; if it was fixed, I cannot see it (checked
Changelog, wiki, source, as much as my grepping counts). Any help
appreciated.]

I have been begging since 2003 to be able to trash qpopper and
use dovecot, but statistical logging of dovecot has been pretty much
absent. Qpopper does this:

Aug 19 11:18:02 mail in.qpopper[8099]: Stats: userid 0 0 12 51773
user.example.com 193.291.612.5 [pop_updt.c:296]

Which provides us with user id, user host and ip, which is fine with
dovecot.

Provides furthermore unread mail count and bytes, and read but
undeleted mail count and bytes. This is essential to handle low-IQ
user problems basically coming down to "WE CANNOT USE EMAIL FIX IT".

This topic was touched several times:
http://www.google.com/search?q=site:dovecot.org+logging&hl=en&lr=&start=0&sa=N

including my original question at
http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2003-October/002514.html

someone even dropped in a patch
http://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2003-June/001618.html
which seem to have disappeared in the flow of time.

Probably is a member of the TODO list since then, but I cannot
find the exact spot.

Some comments from Timo was dropped at
http://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2003-May/001545.html
http://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2003-September/002277.html
(and reply http://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2003-September/002281.html
)
http://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2003-November/002524.html

So, is there any possibility to log the entry and exit statistics of a
session, regarding the amount of mail?

Thanks,
Peter