[Dovecot] test80: assert/core debug info

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Aug 19 19:08:36 EEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 10:45 -0400, Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
> >> IMAP(user): UIDs broken with partial sync in mbox file /var/mail/user
> >> IMAP(user): mbox sync: UID inserted in the middle of mailbox /var/mail/user (195 > 34, seq=2, idx_msgs=31)
> >
> > Although if locking is set wrong, these can happen. Can your users
> > access the mboxes directly or using some other software than Dovecot?
> >
> My lock setting is the default (the conf file is #lock_method = fcntl).

lock_method is for Dovecot's indexes. mbox_lock_read and mbox_lock_write
are more important. But they default to dotlock + fcntl too.

> Yes, users can hit their mailboxes by other means.  The IMAP server
> (dovecot) is also the machine that people can login to interactively.
> System mailboxes are NFS mounted from the mail server, which people cannot
> login to.  Pine users on IMAP server typically hit their mailbox directly
> via the NFS mount, but this can be easily changed so they go thru dovecot
> IMAP.  The mail server is also the POP server, running qpopper
> (I should probably change to dovecot there).  People are admonished to
> use either POP or IMAP but not both.

So you're running lockd too to get fcntl locking working for NFS I
guess? Do you know if Pine uses fcntl locks or just dotlocks? Perhaps
try adding dotlock to mbox_read_locks as well to see if the problems go
away?

> The reasons for this setup are historical and security-related.  The IMAP
> and interactive login server has to remain different from the mail/POP
> server and the NFS mount must remain.  Other than that, I am open to
> suggestions for improvement here.  The two things I should do are:
>
> * make pine users go thru IMAP
> * change from qpopper POP to dovecot POP on the mail server

Dovecot should work fine with other software, as long as they all use
the exact same mbox locking methods.