[Dovecot] Permission denied changing to mail directory

Chris Hogan chris.hogan at 4xtra.com
Sun Aug 28 01:37:03 EEST 2005

I have 3 domains using one mail server. I've set the dovecot mail
directories to be

/mail/mail/%d/%n

When someone logs on, dovecot attempt to navigate to the domain
directory first & we get a permission denied, and we get no further. Its
very odd because (a) it was working up until 16:50 on Thursday & (b) the
directories now have 777 access. Each user is (at present) a separate
unix user & the directories are owned by root & have a file group of mail.

I would have thought that the 777 access would have been enough. I don't
know what we did on Thursday evening, but any ideas about how to fix the
permissions problem?

Chris