[Dovecot] Postfix/Dovecot

Micah Stevens micahstev at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 20:30:16 EEST 2005

Hi,

I searched through the maillist archives and the docs, but didn't find
anything that directly addresses my question, so here goes if anyone has
some time to address it.

I'm running a redhat el3 server, with Postfix as the MTA, and I'd like to
setup Dovecot to provide IMAP/POP3 services.

Postfix uses MySQL lookups to do mailbox lookups, and I configured dovecot
to do the same thing. The mail is delivered to
/usr/local/virtual/<domainname>/<end.address>/ in maildir format by Postfix.
This is working fine.

I've setup dovecot, and set it do user auth and user lookups to MySQL. This
seems to be working fine as I get no mysql errors from the queries, and my
login process (to IMAP from localhost) is fine. Here's a typical scenario:

telnet localhost imap
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.domain (127.0.0.1 <http://127.0.0.1>).
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK dovecot ready.
1login micah at 9250x.com "rigid2"
1 OK Logged in.
2 select INBOX
2 NO

If I look in the directory for micah at 9250x.com I find:
# ls
cur new tmp

The permissions are 777 for now to eliminate that possibility. The dovecot
log file lists:
imap-login: Aug 28 12:27:11 Info: Login: micah at 9250x.com
[127.0.0.1<http://127.0.0.1>
]

each time I log in, and nothing after that indicating why it's not seeing
any mail.

Why isn't it seeing any mail? Do I need to make an Inbox directory and tell
postfix to deliver there? From reading the docs, having the delivery into
the main maildir directory should be okay, but I might be mis-reading.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated..

Thank you,
-Micah