[Dovecot] Bugtracking system

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Wed Dec 7 15:04:52 EET 2005

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> I've used RT quite a lot, but can it be actually useful for bug
> tracking? It seems to have been designed for some kind of support
> requests. Slightly different than bug tracking :)

rt.cpan.org seems to work fine for bug tracking (I just closed two this morning
vs one of CPAN modules).  The key is intelligently choosing the queues, so that
you have some sane structure.  It's probably best to see how the RT project
itself handles their own bugs:

	http://rt3.fsck.com/?user=guest&pass=guest

> I've thought about skipping Subversion and instead using one of those
> distributed versioning systems, as soon as I can figure out which of
> them are here to stay..
>
> GIT, Mercurial, Darcs or Bazaar-NG probably..

I am not aware of the depth of the conversion tools from CVS to any of those (I
see only Tailor, which was written for Darcs and can do conversions between the
others), and I could make some comment about the lack of usage history behind
all of those (they are all less than a year or two old).  I can say that the
team of programmers behind Subversion have borderline OCD (or over the border
sometimes ;) so that the code quality is very high.

Philosophically speaking, Dovecot is basically one person - you - and so the
utility of a fully distributed VCS is really questionable.  Making it easier to
have others mirror your code and provide patches is, as far as I am concerned,
secondary to providing you with the tools you need to manage the project.  I'd
be happy to take this offline and set up a testbed for Subversion from a
converted CVS repository so you could try it out.

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group