[Dovecot] Order of emails

Marcus Don mdon at names.co.uk
Fri Dec 9 16:14:38 EET 2005

Hi

We have an issue regarding the order in which emails are displayed in an
imap folder, which our customers regularly complain about. By default,
emails are returned from a folder in the order in which they were placed
into the folder, which makes perfect sense. However, if an email is moved
into another folder, it will always appear at the top, no matter how old it
is.

We could order the emails ourselves before displaying them in our webmail
program. However, this would mean parsing the headers of every single email,
which could be many thousands, so would slow things down considerably and
greatly increase load. At the moment, we only read 30 at a time as the user
pages through the folder.

>From what I can see, the order is determined by the timestamp in the email
filename, which gets updated every time the email is moved. Is there any way
we could disable this, so the filename (or at least the timestamp part of
it) remains constant? If so, would this affect in any way the behaviour of
other imap clients, such as Outlook?

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Marcus
--
Marcus Don
Applications Development Manager

Main Line:     +44 (0)870 120 8888
Main Fax:      +44 (0)870 120 8008
Tech Support:  +44 (0)870 162 4950
Email:         mdon at names.co.uk
Website:       http://www.names.co.uk
Address:       Acton House, Perdiswell Park, Worcester, WR3 7GD

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender
immediately.  If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that
disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the
contents of this information is strictly prohibited. Please note that any
views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and
do not necessarily represent those of the company.  Finally, the recipient
transmitted by this email.
                ---------------------------------------
               |  Free Dial-up - no need to register!  |
                ---------------------------------------

Namesco Limited provides Free dialup access to anyone that wishes to use it.
You do not even have to be a customer, there is no need to register and is
especially handy if you are unable to connect with your current provider.
Simply use the following details:

        Dialup Number:  0844 535 2100*
        Username:       namesco
        Password:       easydialup

* Local call rate charges apply, 33% Cheaper than BT's 0845 local call rate.

If you need any help in configuring the Free Dial-up service on your
computer, please do not hesitate to call us on 0870 162 4950.