[Dovecot] 1.0alpha5: fcntl() locking problem

Martin Preen preen at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Dec 15 11:04:30 EET 2005

"Jeff A. Earickson" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My setup: Solaris 9, /var/mail is NFS mounted from another
> Solaris 9 box, home directories and dovecot index stuff is
> on local ufs filesystems.  I upgraded from alpha4 to a5 about
> 36 hours ago.  Dovecot is configured like so during the build:
>
> VERSION=1.0.alpha5
> CC=gcc CFLAGS="-g -O" CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/openssl/include LDFLAGS=-L/opt/openssl/lib \
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/dovecot.$VERSION --with-ssl=openssl \
> --with-ssldir=/opt/openssl/ssl  > configure.out
>
> This afternoon dovecot basically locked up where a lot of
> people (including me) were getting:
>
> imap(user): fcntl() failed with mbox file /var/mail/user: No record locks available
>
> for syslog messages, and their mailbox operations would fail.
> In my case pine just closed the mailbox with an internal error.
>
> I did a quick fix by stopping dovecot, killing all dovecot processes,
> killing /usr/lib/nfs/lockd on the dovecot server, and restarting
> lockd.
>
> Ideas?  Suggestions?
>
> Jeff Earickson
> Colby College

Hello,
maybe it's not a dovecot problem. We had once a similar problem
with NFS mounted home directories. This message appeared with
the directories mounted from one server. The others were ok
(all with Solaris 9).

It was something with the NFS server (I don't remember the exact
reason). Restarting the NFS server (or booting) should help.

Martin

Martin Preen, Universitaet Freiburg, Institut fuer Informatik
Georges-Koehler-Allee 52, Raum 00-006, 79110 Freiburg, Germany

phone: ++49 761 203-8250      preen at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
fax: ++49 761 203-8242        www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de