[Dovecot] Re: PATCH: Dovecot SASL authentication for Postfix 2.3-20051220

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Dec 23 20:01:42 EET 2005

On 23.12.2005, at 17:11, Wietse Venema wrote:

> - The authentication server protocol uses the TAB character as a
> delimiter, so it is critical that legitimate user names don't
> contain this character.  This is of course trivial to ensure with
> the authentication server implementation, so I will not worry about
> it.

Oh, right. Actually the replies may contain \001 escaped characters:

\001 1 -> \001
\001 t -> TAB
\001 n -> LF

But in practice none of these should ever come. I haven't yet bothered
to make Dovecot itself even unescape these internally. Maybe that could
even be considered a feature. Usernames having TABs or LFs could cause
all kinds of other trouble.