[Dovecot] dovecot - postgresql ERR No INBOX for user.

David Bain david.bain at alteroo.com
Sat Dec 24 20:34:02 EET 2005

I've setup dovecot to authenticate against postgresql.

But I consistently get a "No INBOX for user" error when I try to do pop
requests.

Any pointers would be helpful.

Postfix deposits mails in maildirs in the format
/var/spool/virtual_mailboxes/{domain}/{username}/

below is the result of a telnet test (altered slightly of course, but gives
the idea)

 telnet localhost 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK dovecot ready.
USER personx at myxdomxain.net
+OK
PASS herexxxx
+OK Logged in.
-ERR No INBOX for user.
Connection closed by foreign host.

here is my dovecot.conf file

/etc/dovecot-pgsql.conf
===================
## Dovecot 1.0 configuration file
protocols = imap imaps pop3

# "host:port".
imap_listen = *
pop3_listen = *

login = imap

login = pop3
# to make sure that users ca
here is my dovecot-pgsql.conf file

default_mail_env = maildir:/var/spool/virtual_mailboxes/%lu/%u/Maildir

# Authentication process name.
auth = default

auth_user = root
auth_userdb = pgsql /etc/dovecot-pgsql.conf
auth_passdb = pgsql /etc/dovecot-pgsql.conf

/etc/dovecot-pgsql.conf

connect = host=localhost dbname=mails user=xxxxxxname password=xxxxxxx
default_pass_scheme = PLAIN
password_query = SELECT password FROM users WHERE userid = '%u'
user_query = SELECT '/var/spool/virtual_mailboxes/'||home AS home, uid, gid
FROM users WHERE userid = '%u'
#user_query = SELECT '/%n' as home,uid, gid FROM users WHERE userid = '%u'