[Dovecot] dovecot behaving badly after upgrade..

Adrian Vasile yoyo at opennet.ro
Tue Dec 27 11:12:54 EET 2005

Hi,

It doesn't matter who's fault it is. I run Dovecot with mysql auth and
it does the same..
the idea is that mysql has a timeout for connections so, after a period
of inactivity it closes the connection.
I don't know if Dovecot uses what the developers from mysql propose:
if mysql_ping != ok then reconnect
I didn't have time to browse the sources.

The lazy work-around I made is modifying the pop3/imap monitor of mon
and every 15 min, mon logs into dovecot
with a test account :)

It's the same problem with amavis but that's not necesarly amavis's
fault but the DBI people.

PS: I run :
* net-mail/dovecot
     Installed:           0.99.14-r1
     Homepage:            http://dovecot.org/
primarily in mind

* dev-db/mysql
     Installed:           5.0.17
     Homepage:            http://www.mysql.com/
database server

maybe using pam_mysql would solve this issue..