[Dovecot] alpha5: (message_body_search_ctx) assert

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Sat Dec 31 16:16:56 EET 2005

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:59:46 +0200
> From: Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>
> To: Jeff A. Earickson <jaearick at colby.edu>
> Cc: dovecot at dovecot.org
> Subject: Re: [Dovecot] alpha5: (message_body_search_ctx) assert
>
> On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 08:52 -0500, Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
>> Timo,
>>    One of the two people who caused this assert has touched their
>> mailbox via POP (Qualcomm POP, I haven't switched my POP service
>> to dovecot yet).  The X-UIDL would have been added by either
>> qpopper or Eudora most likely.  People are warned not to do
>> POP and IMAP at the same time, but it happens anyway.
>
> But is POP + IMAP-webmail use warned? If user first reads the mailbox
> with webmail, then reads the mails with POP leaving them to server (and
> POP server modifies the mails), and again goes to webmail, this error
> happens.

Yes, this is my best guess as to what happened.  Many people here have
their POP email client set to leave mail on the server so they can also
use
webmail/IMAP.  They are warned not to do this sequence above, but they
forget that Eudora is auto-checking their email every few minutes.
*Most* people at my site have either chosen webmail or Eudora and don't
have this problem.

> If you meant with "at same time" having the POP and IMAP server
> processes running at the same time, that doesn't matter here.

My POP (Qualcomm) and IMAP (dovecot) daemons run on two different
machines.  POP runs on our mail server, so the mailboxes are local
filesystems.  IMAP runs on our general-login computer, where the
user home directories are local filesystems, and where the mailboxes
are NFS-mounted from the mail server.

If I replace Qualcomm pop with dovecot pop on our mail server, will
this same setup work?   Does dovecot POP require anything from the
user's home directory, eg index or cache files, like IMAP does?

For numerous reasons, I do not want users to have home directories
on our mail server, either local or NFS-mounted.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College