[Dovecot] Re: dovecot-stable branch

Geo Carncross geocar-dovecot at internetconnection.net
Tue Feb 1 19:00:28 EET 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 19:44 +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 18:33 +0100, Nicolas STRANSKY wrote:
> > Le 31.01.2005 18:23, Timo Sirainen a écrit :
> > > To confuse Dovecot versioning even more, I've added "dovecot-stable"
> > > module into CVS. This is a version of Dovecot before the recent keyword
> > > changes but with several bugfixes backported to it. It's thought to be
> > > mostly stable.
> > >
> > > I intend to keep it updated with important bugfixes and with other
> > > simple bugfixes. Although I'm not sure if I'll make a large code base
> > > upgrade once keyword changes are stable.
> >
> > What are exactly the keywords made for ? I'm not familiar with this...
>
> Mozilla/Thunderbird calls these labels. They are just message flags
> which client has named, usually compatible with itself only. Most
> clients don't support them at all.

Some keywords are standardized- $MDNSent for example (as a replacement
for Recent for client-side filtering).

Some keywords are "common"- like Mozilla's Junk and NotJunk keywords. I
expect these to become more popular....

I wish keywords could be used as a replacement for UIDs that'd never
change ( e.g. KEYWORD $MID=989498397.32217.wumpus,S=6013 ), but most
IMAP servers don't seem to optimize SEARCH KEYWORD for this.

I wish keywords could be used as a replacement for folders such that a
message could be in multiple folders, but IMAP clients would need a way
to fetch all the keywords efficiently. Perhaps just adding them to the
PERMANENTFLAGS response would be enough...

Some thought should go into the support of clients that support this
kind of behavior, and provide a way to map "folders" and "keywords" in
both directions.

Keywords is a "hack" for most IMAP servers, and this is bad because it's
one of the sanest mechanisms in all of IMAP...

--
Internet Connection High Quality Web Hosting
http://www.internetconnection.net/