[Dovecot] Migrating from mbox to maildir: Message ordering?

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Fri Feb 4 14:14:11 EET 2005

Ian R. Justman wrote:
> When I use a mail program to do the migration from mbox to maildir,
> selecting "order received ascending", it works nicely, but one very
> small problem:  When I go to look at the newly-populated folder,
> everything is in reverse order.  I've tried it with T'bird and I've
> tried it with Pine.  Both yield the same results.  I'm thinking the
> issue might be with Dovecot.  Or is it a peculiarity with maildir?  Or
> am I better off using other means to convert a mbox folder to maildir?

Message ordering works fine here (with maildir's) so perhaps it is an issue of
nomenclature.  I use "date ascending" which probably more accurately sorts the
messages in terms of when the sender sent the message.  The newest messages show
up at the bottom of the list.  Is that not what you see?

Or rather, perhaps using the mail program to do the migration is interfering
with the order.  Are you saying you are sending the messages to yourself?  This
would create a new RECEIVED: line which would be in the order the messages were
transferred, not(!) the order the messages were originally received.

Check out OfflineIMAP:

	http://gopher.quux.org:70/devel/offlineimap

for transferring messages from one account to another...

HTH

John

--
John Peacock