[Dovecot] New user Q: dovecot-0.99-13 / UnixWare 7.1.0

Steven Palm n9yty at n9yty.com
Sat Feb 5 04:45:56 EET 2005

Trying to get dovecot up and running.

I managed to get everything compiled and linked correctly, but there
seems to be some problem with either the auth process or communication
between the main process and the auth process.

When I try to login, I get:

* OK dovecot ready.
1 login n9yty testing
* OK Waiting for authentication process to respond..

And I keep getting the same message over and over until eventually it
dies if I let it sit:

* BYE Disconnected for inactivity.

In the log, all I see is:

dovecot: Feb 05 02:24:46 Info: Dovecot starting up
imap-login: Feb 05 02:32:46 Info: Disconnected: Inactivity [127.0.0.1]

I have this in my config, but yet that is all the logging I see:

auth_userdb = passwd
auth_passdb = shadow
auth_verbose = yes
auth_debug = yes

I then tried to do ./configure with --enable-debug, but if I do that I
get this in the log when trying to run dovecot:

dovecot: Feb 05 02:08:01 Info: Dovecot starting up
dovecot: Feb 05 02:08:03 Error: Auth process died too early - shutting
down
dovecot: Feb 05 02:08:03 Error: child 8441 (login) killed with signal 6
dovecot: Feb 05 02:08:03 Error: child 8440 (auth) killed with signal 6

  (sometimes the (login) line is not send, but always (auth))

Any thoughts on where to next start tracking this down?  I tried to use
test62, but get this (haven't dug much further into this one since I'd
like a stable release for this application):

main.c: In function `listen_protocols':
main.c:284: error: structure has no member named `_listen'
main.c: At top level: