[Dovecot] assertion failed in imap-bodystructure.c

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 9 21:06:45 EET 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 13:13 +0100, Martin Preen wrote:
> I found this in the log:
>
> imap(xxxxx): [ID 265587 mail.crit] file imap-bodystructure.c: line 278
>  (part_parse_headers): assertion failed:
>  (part->physical_pos >= input->v_offset - start_offset)
>
> dovecot: [ID 684838 mail.error] child 7376 (imap) killed with signal 6
>
> The user tried to setup a new folder (with Thunderbird) and that
> seemed to cause this error.
>
> What does that mean ?

Mostly that the body structure information in dovecot's index file
wasn't written correctly, and when it was trying to read it it found
some problems. It rather should fail with an error message there and
recreate the index file, but that code is missing..

> Should I worry about ?

Not really unless it happens constantly. Deleting index file usually
helps with that. If you can reproduce it easily with some mail I could
then fix it.

Hopefully this problem is anyway fixed in 1.0-tests.