[Dovecot] outstanding issues with 0.99.13

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Thu Feb 10 01:19:29 EET 2005

sean finney wrote:
> 1 - automagic detection and uw-imap inbox in ~/mbox.  i'm not sure if
>     this is a default characteristic or if it's specific to us, but
>     our spool is in /var/mail/foo and inbox in ~/mbox.  the automagic
>     Maildir/mbox detection doesn't find the "mbox", and i can't tell it
>     where it is because then it doesn't look for the Maildir.
>   solution: i wrote a small patch to dovecot's autodetect code to help
>     it find the location of our mailboxes.  if anyone would like a copy
>     of said patch i can send it off list.

I tried a combined mbox-for-inbox/Maildir-for-other setup once, only to find
it's not an option in the 0.99 series.  You can do it in 1.0, apparently, but
I'm yet to take the plunge :)

> 2 - uw-imap's spool/inbox message moving.  i read from the wiki that
>     this isn't a feature currently being worked on.
>   solution: deliver all mail to the same place.  since we use procmail
>     as our MDA, this isn't too hard of a problem.  basically we redirect
>     mail to the inbox and redeliver everything in the spool.

Umm... not being familiar with uw-imap's features, I'm not clear on what
you're asking here.  My understanding of the flow of things is your MDA (at
least) delivers to your INBOX.  More advanced MDAs will deliver to multiple
folders, but your MUA needs to know to check these places for new mail.  I
know Thunderbird, by default, only checks INBOX, but can be told to check
other folders, or all, for new mail.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net