[Dovecot] PoP3 AutoDeletion

Andrey Panin pazke at donpac.ru
Thu Feb 10 08:45:23 EET 2005

On 040, 02 09, 2005 at 09:25:05 +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 13:31 -0800, Cheema, Ravi wrote:
> > Qpopper has a compile time option
> >
> > '--enable-auto-delete     Automatically delete downloaded msgs'
> >
> > Is there anything similar in dovecot. I'm trying to migrate from qpopper to dovecot any help is appreciated.
>
> No. Is there a reason why such feature is useful? Looks pretty pointless
> to me.

t can be useful for clients retrieving their mails using low quality
connections like bad phone lines. If modem lose connection during mail
retrieval downloaded messages are not deleted. On the next attempt client
will download them again and again and again ...

Autodeletition can help in this situation, but it's clearly an RFC
violation, so it should be switched off by default (if implemented
at all) and accompanied with the big fat warning.

--
Andrey Panin		| Linux and UNIX system administrator
pazke at donpac.ru		| PGP key: wwwkeys.pgp.net