[Dovecot] Speed up large maildirs

Leen Besselink leen at wirehub.nl
Tue Feb 15 20:21:52 EET 2005

Hi,

I'm very fond of maildirs, they are simple, I like that.

But I've never really understood the significance of maildir/new/. The only use I can see is
that  (for example in the case of dovecot), you'd move a message from new to cur and then
update the index-file, that's it.

So to make put it more direct, you'd know when and with what to update the index-file, based
on where the file resides.

I've never been bothered by them, until I found that that is the last hurdle for fast access
to a large (and receiving a lot of mail) Maildir.

I've been thinking long and hard about what to do to make them work even better.

My idea at this point is the following, use maildir/new as little as possible, just use it
for what it was intented and spread the time of updates.

If someone would make a wrapper-program around the delivery-program (like qmail-local,
vpopmaildeliver, procmail or local and virtual from postfix) and the delivery program would
print to standard output the path+filename it saved a (or more) message(s) to, the wrapper
would be able to send an update-message to a dovecot-daemon.

That mean, updates are small, and opening a large maildir would be sped up.

How does that sound ?

I hope this is a helpfull suggestion.