[Dovecot] Speed up large maildirs

Leen Besselink leen at wirehub.nl
Tue Feb 15 20:53:38 EET 2005

>>That mean, updates are small, and opening a large maildir would be sped up.
>>
>>How does that sound ?
>>

> What difference does this make to simply telling dovecot to open the
> maildir periodically? You could do that easily in python:
>
> import imaplib
> conn = imaplib.IMAP4_open("/usr/sbin/dovecot --exec-mail imap")
> conn.select("targetfolder")
> conn.logout()
>
> Obviously you'd have python start overhead, but you can just use expect
> instead, which probably starts faster. Make your wrapper store a list of
> changed folders somewhere, and iterate over that list every couple of
> minutes using above script.
>
> Or am I misunderstanding something?

I guess that means you wouldn't need a username/password, for that..., just a small program
that opens/closes recenty changed folders, ok.

I wouldn't mind a little overhead.

I think this would work (I was just suggesting a daemon, because I know dovecot can also keep
things mmap'd).

> Oh, the best would obviously be using the (planned to be upcoming, I
> believe) dovecot LDA (local delivery agent).

I like that idea, but it wouldn't solve it, for the situation where you'd use procmail for
delivery.

(unless ofcourse the LDA does filtering/sorting as well, which sounds like a lot of work)

Where a small patch to procmail which uses standard out for telling the LDA or wrapper what
files it delivered to, would be pretty easy.