[Dovecot] Speed up large maildirs

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Tue Feb 15 21:13:54 EET 2005

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Actually Dovecot looks at cur too every time its timestamp has changed.
> So moving the mail from new/ to cur/ means Dovecot will scan through the
> cur/ within a couple of seconds. The scan should be pretty fast though.

Well, yes, since Dovecot can't assume it's the only program accessing
the mailbox.  But my point is that Dovecot already knows that the files
in ./new are not in the index, so there is no point in telling it about
the messages (which is what the OP was suggesting).

> The optimal solution anyway will be Dovecot's own mail format at some
> point, delivered through Dovecot LDA which indexes the mail immediately
> while storing it.

That would be a database, right? ;-)

John

--