[Dovecot] Master requested auth for nonexisting client %d

Peter Franck vic at ibas-labs.de
Sun Feb 20 05:00:32 EET 2005

Magnus Holmgren wrote:
[...]
>> Unfortunately I have one more (newbie) problem : I am now able to
>> authenticate against dovecot, but i cannot get any mail from it.
>>
>> Logfile:
>>
>> ---8<---
>> Feb 20 00:31:20 office dovecot: auth(default): client in: AUTH    1
>> PLAIN    service=IMAP    secured    lip=192.168.23.1    rip=192.168.23.42
>> Feb 20 00:31:20 office dovecot: auth(default): client out: CONT    1
>> Feb 20 00:31:20 office dovecot: auth(default): client in: CONT    1
>> AHZpYwBzeXNpbnQyMQ==
>> Feb 20 00:31:20 office dovecot: auth(default): client out: OK    1
>> user=vic
>> Feb 20 00:31:20 office dovecot: auth(default): master in: REQUEST
>> 1    2    1
>> Feb 20 00:31:20 office dovecot: auth(default): Master requested auth
>> for nonexisting client 2
>> --->8---
>>
>> Any idea?
>> Peter
>>

> Did you upgrade from 1.0-test59 to 1.0-test62 (or possibly 61 or 60)
> between your posts? I hope you haven't mixed binaries from different
> versions, since that might cause strange errors.

I am running 1.0-test62, compiled from distclean source plus Magnus´
patch. I have cross-checked all binaries once more. They all bear the
same timestamp.

One interesting thing to note is that my Thunderbird client opens up to
8 simultaneous imap sessions if used with uw-imapd.

Dovecot generates one more entry like the above in the mail log whenever
i click on a mail or a folder within Thunderbird.

It might be that the uw-imapd directory structure is not compatible with
dovecot but I would expect (a) that it will find at least the inbox at
/var/[spool/]mail/$LOGNAME and (b) a different error message if this is
the problem.

Still no success,
Peter