[Dovecot] uw-imap and gnu-pop3d to dovecot transition/replacement

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Tue Feb 22 00:32:59 EET 2005

Jani Karlsson wrote:
> Hi

I'm assuming you're using a test1.0-xx version?

> - need to get Dovecot run on another port the test-phase, ie 144 for
> imap, 994 for IMAPs

 From my understanding of the 1.0 config files, you should be able to put a
"listen" line inside the "protocol imap {" section.  Also, a "ssl_listen"
option could go in there.

Someone else on the list want to double check me on this?

> - need to use .mailboxlist (modified the source already, this maybe
> works - due SSL problem not tested?)
> - no symlinks etc can't be done (simply too many mailboxes) so how to
> make dovecot read IMAP-directories from user's homedir..

There is a section of the documentation Wiki covering migration from UW-IMAP.
  There should be no reason for symlinks - dovecot can be told where to find
mail boxes, if you haven't set/got the mail env in the user db.

> Anything else I should know before trying this transition?
> All help truely appreciated.

In future, it often helps to remember to mention your OS version and Dovecot
version when asking for help.  In the case of this query, there were config
file format changes between 0.99 and 1.0... but with more involved bugs, it
can matter a great deal more.

Other than that, most people seem to find Dovecot a whole lot faster than
UW-IMAP, though I have no basis for comparison - Dovecot is the first IMAP
server I've installed, and I've seen no reason to wander...

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net