[Dovecot] apple mail, and mails marked as deleted

Joerg Lentsch Lentsch at weltservice.it
Tue Feb 22 10:32:00 EET 2005

On 22.02.2005, at 03:17, Jim Tittsler wrote:

> On Feb 22, 2005, at 04:36, Joerg Lentsch wrote:
>
>> is this a feature or a bug in conjunction with apple mail. i usually
>> use the feature in imap to not delete the emails, but only mark them
>> as deleted, which is a very usefull feature if you use a emailbox
>> with more people accessing it. Im now trying an SME server
>> installation with dovecot 0.99.10, and when i delete a message, it
>> gets marked as deletet, but as soon as i change the mailbox the mail
>> gets also expunged from it. is this a bug fixed in the newer dovecot
>> releases ? or is this a feature that i can configure ?
>
> Do you have Mail.app set to "Compact mailboxes automatically" (on the
> Advanced tab of the preferences for the account you are using)?  When
> that is checked, Mail.app issues an IMAP CLOSE command when you leave
> a mailbox, which removes messages with the \Deleted flag set.

Hi there!

thank you all for the answer. Yes indeed, after trying all the various
options on the mail client, i discovered that it was this "Compact"
switch.
Thanks again for your help.

/Maximus

--
W.E.L.T. - Joerg Lentsch			    Mitterweg 16 Via di mezzo ai piani
Tel: +39 0471 973020			    I-39100 Bozen Bolzano