[Dovecot] Problems with Dovecot and self-signed cert

Adam Pordzik ap at d-dt.de
Tue Feb 22 22:25:25 EET 2005

> Normally, on a RHEL system, you just go into /user/share/ssl/certs/ and

RHEL = Red Hat Enterprise Linux?

> type:
>
> make whatever.pem

go to /usr/local/share/doc/dovecot (on FreeBSD), edit example
dovecot-openssl.cnf
for your needs and run mkcert.sh

To do it "by hand" you've to type e.g.: (one line, then without "\")

openssl req -new -x509 -newkey rsa:1024 -nodes -keyout mykey.pem -out \
mycert-pem

Of course, this will ask you for some values for the DN as well and
requires an working openssl.cnf (Use myimap.mydomain.dom for CN)

> Then you fill out the various address fields, and you've got a cert.

> However, when I rename/delete the existing dovecot.pem and generate a
> new one using this method, Dovecot won't start and I'm unable to connect
> to the box.  The cert that it's currently using is called

Do use use also the newly generated private key?

> "localhost.localdomain", and while that works, mail clients gripe every
> time about the domain name not matching the certificate.

So make it matching. Set CN=comon Name (openssl might ask for "Your Name")