[Dovecot] A few words about NFS please?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Feb 25 02:40:52 EET 2005

On 15.2.2005, at 21:22, Jeff A. Earickson wrote:

> Could you say a few words about Dovecot and POP/IMAP to
> an NFS mounted filesystem?  I thought I saw on the dovecot
> webpage that NFS is "no way" with 0.99 and "maybe" with
> 1.x.  I was looking for the FAQ and couldn't find it.

If you're storing indexes in NFS, it should kind of work with 1.0-tests
as long as you set mmap_disable = yes and if you don't have lockd set
lock_method = dotlock.

There are still some bugs with that setup though, especially cache file
probably complains about corruption once in a while. It should fix
itself always, but I guess it's possible that it might sometimes return
invalid replies to client. Or depends on what the bugs are..

Also doing concurrent accesses to same mailbox in multiple sessions
might sometimes give "stale NFS handle" errors which Dovecot doesn't
yet handle everywhere.