[Dovecot] Trigger getmail via mail-client action?

Gert Brinkmann g111 at netcologne.de
Sat Feb 26 23:10:56 EET 2005

Hello,

I want to use dovecot on my private debian/unstable-system to have the
advantages of an IMAP-Server (Access to mails from different computers,
Simply changing the mail client). I decided to use dovecot, because I
very often have read (in the web) that it should be more simple to
configure than other servers.

Now I have the following question:

I want to use getmail to retrieve mails from my provider's pop3-server.
I do have a dial-up-connection that is not online permanently (I do not
have a flat rate). I could start a script on ppp's ip-up that
periodically invokes getmail and on ip-down to kill it again. But I
would prefer to invoke getmail only when I really want it to be run. The
ideal solution for me was to invoke getmail when the "Get Mail"-Button
of the mail client is pressed. Is this possible? Perhaps there is
something like a connection- or refresh-trigger in dovecot?

Thank you,

Gert