[Dovecot] UID inserted in the middle of mailbox

Jim Tittsler jt at OnJapan.net
Mon Feb 28 01:50:21 EET 2005

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 04:55:05PM +0100, Nicolas STRANSKY wrote:
> I'm seeing these with latest 1.0-stable :
>
> Feb 27 16:48:12 zamok dovecot: POP3(****): mbox sync: UID inserted in
> the middle of mailbox /var/mail/**** (176 > 150)
> Feb 27 16:49:58 zamok dovecot: POP3(****): mbox sync: UID inserted in
> the middle of mailbox /var/mail/**** (4409 > 4237)

Do they happen repeatedly?

I had similar messages logged after I upgraded from 0.99.14 to
the nightly-stable branch... but they happened only when I
*first* visited *some* mailboxes.  Comparing with backups of the
mailboxes, it looked like the UIDs had changed (but not nearly
as ominously as being inserted in the middle of something :-).
I assumed that there was (in some circumstance) something wrong
with the UIDs written by the earlier version.

I just deleted the .imap/*/* files, allowing those to be rebuilt.
The "UID inserted" messages haven't recurred.