[Dovecot] Where are flags stored?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jan 6 20:40:16 EET 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 21:06 +0100, Adam Pordzik wrote:
> I don't now wheather this is IMAP or actually dovecot-specific, but I
> hope you people here knows about this at least: Where are flags like
> seen/unseen or e.g. message-priority stored?

This is mail store specific. With maildir the seen flag is stored in
maildir file name (http://cr.yp.to/proto/maildir.html), with mbox it's
stored in R flag in Status-header.

I don't know what you mean by message priority. That's most likely a
client-specific variable which is never even sent to IMAP server.

> My goal is to mark spam or other filtered by procmail as "seen", so that
> dovecot doesn't notify MUAs about new mail in IDLE mode.

It doesn't matter if message is seen or not, Dovecot still notifies
client.