[Dovecot] Maildir woes

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jan 6 20:59:13 EET 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 20:01 -0700, RYAN vAN GINNEKEN wrote:
> >> have noticed that dovecot seems to create direcotories .drafts .trash
> >> .sent items but my mail from binc is stored in Drafts Sent and Trash is
> >> there a simple fix for this as i have looked everywhere.
> >>

> > Almost certainly it is your mail client creating these folders, not
> > Dovecot.  If you are using multiple mail clients, check to make sure
> > they use the same folder names.  I know Thunderbird is totaly
> > configurable in this respect.
>
> hmmmm why would it create these only after i installed dovecot?  as
> before with bincIMAP these forlders were not created

I guess it's possible that binc treats them case-insensitively somehow,
but I doubt it.. In any case, Dovecot creates them only if client asks
it to.

> No mail is delivered to maildir:/usr/home/%u/IMAPdir/INBOX  see below
> and subseqently the new and cur forlders that you mentioin above.

If you want new mail to get written to

> POSTFIX
> home_mailbox = IMAPdir/INBOX/

Usually with Maildir the INBOX would be in IMAPdir/ directly, but yes, I
forgot that with IMAPdir layout it was in INBOX/ directory.

Dovecot 0.99.x doesn't actually support defining separate location for
maildir INBOX, so you'd have to remove the INBOX/ from there. ie. the
directory layout should be:

IMAPdir/new/ <- new mails get written there
IMAPdir/cur/ <- mails get moved in there
IMAPdir/.Drafts/new/ <- new draft mails there
etc.

> PROCMAIL
> MAILDIR=$HOME/IMAPdir
> DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/INBOX/

And just DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/ in here.

> So this is the correct setting then for dovecot right??
> default_mail_env = maildir:/usr/home/%u/IMAPdir/INBOX

That would make all subfolders to be under IMAPdir/INBOX/ directory,
which most likely isn't what you want.

> >> imap(test): Dec 30 16:04:24 Error: mkdir(/usr/home/test/IMAPdir/.Trash)
> >> failed: No such file or directory
> >
> > Does that directory exist?  If not, how much of that path exists?
> > If it does, what are the permissions?
>
> No test does not exist anymore but the account exists in my email client
> still.

So it is a real error because the client tries to read test's mail which
doesn't exist.