[Dovecot] Upgraded and authentication fails with LDAP

Ren Galskap ren_galskap at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 14 17:49:15 EET 2005

--- Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> On 14.1.2005, at 08:14, Ren Galskap wrote:
>
> > I've jury-rigged a passwd file. Now I'm getting
> >
> >     Jan 14 00:59:37 kongemord dovecot: chdir(0)
> failed
> >
> >     with uid 1003: Permission denied
>
> That means your home directory is set to "0" in
> passwd-file.

Oh, man, Timo. You're a life saver.

I have a small number of virtual users, so I added
them to the system users and then copied their records
out of master.passwd into the imap password file. When
I get LDAP working again I'll just delete the insecure
imap file and remove the virtural users from the
system. But I failed to notice that master.passwd has
some extra fields, two of which are occupied by zeros.

Timo, I started using dovecot about a year and a half
ago, and I've been reading the mail list during that
whole time. You've been consistently knowledgeable,
helpfull, and extremely nice to everyone during that
period. I'm strongly inclined to recommend dovecot to
anyone who needs an IMAP server, not only because of
the high quality of the software, but also because of
the high quality of help on the mail list.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'll be watching the
ports for dovecot-0.99.13 so I can switch back to LDAP.