[Dovecot] Is it possible to access maildir w/ 2 clients at the same time?

Magnus Holmgren holmgren at lysator.liu.se
Mon Jan 24 15:57:24 EET 2005

Maybe I should send my reply to the list as well... :-)

Erhard Guenther wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have dovecot with Maildir installed and running. No problems.
> I use kmail on both desktop and laptop with cachedimap configuration.
> kmail is configured to look for new mail every two minutes.
>
> Now my question:
> When both maschines are running and kmail is started then two clients
> access the same Maildir
> on the server at the same time. Is this possible or can this corrupt the
> Maildir directory.
>
> TIA
> Guenther

The whole point (or at least a major part of it) is that maildirs are
designed to be concurrently accessed (provided that the clients Do It
Right). See for example http://cr.yp.to/proto/maildir.html,
http://www.qmail.org/qmail-manual-html/man5/maildir.html or just google
for maildir.

Cheers,