[Dovecot] dovecot Maildir issue

Tadghe Danu tadghe at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 05:53:49 EET 2005

I'm working on switching a domain from a Cyrus+postfix+procmail to
Dovecot+postfix+procmail (using Maildir).  It works great, except one
small problem.
I cannot figure out what the permissions for my Maildir directories
should be.  Can anyone point me to a doc or just a few pointers on
what the permissions of the Maildirs should be? The only way I seem to
be able to make this config work is to make the Maildirs world
read+write. I can't exactly roll out a config like that :).

I have postfix+procmail delivering to per user Maildirs under /var/mail.
The permissions on /var/mail (pulled from the Wiki) are

mail:/var/mail# ls -l /var/ |grep mail
drwxrwxrwt   7 root     mail      4096 Jan 25 22:37 mail

The user Maildirs are set as:
mail:/var/mail# ls -l /var/mail/ |grep tadghe
drwxr-xrwt  2 tadghe   tadghe 4096 Jan 25 22:36 tadghe

When I try and access a mail box I get this in the logs

an 25 22:35:34 mail imap(tadghe): opendir(/var/mail/tadghe/tmp)
failed: Permission denied
Jan 25 22:35:34 mail imap(tadghe): opendir() failed with file
/var/mail/tadghe/new: Permission denied
Jan 25 22:35:34 mail imap(tadghe): opendir() failed with file
/var/mail/tadghe/new: Permission denied
Jan 25 22:35:34 mail imap(tadghe): opendir(/var/mail/tadghe/tmp)
failed: Permission denied

Tadghe