[Dovecot] 1.0-test75 and roadmap for v1.0

Chris Wakelin c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
Fri Jul 1 02:27:16 EEST 2005

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> I think I'll forget about the master/config rewrite for a while and
> leave it for Dovecot v2.0. That would mean the next release will be
> called 1.0-alpha1. After that there should be only bugfixes and some
> smaller features and optimizations left.

Sounds reasonable. Mind you, it feels scary migrating our 20,000 users
to an "alpha" product! (This week I managed to switch ~120 University
Admin staff, who are some of our heaviest users, to use Dovecot
1.0-stable with mbox, instead of UW-IMAP, without them noticing! So far,
it seems that Dovecot is reading one third of the disk blocks and using
half the CPU than UW-IMAP, for them.)

> I looked through my TODO and found the following missing features /
> optimizations that pretty much have to be done before v1.0. Anything
> important missing?

<snip>

>  - mail cache file
>      - cache _all_ headers that are marked to be cached when headers are
>        being parsed, not just the ones client is requesting at that time.
>      - compression should drop fields with last_used <
>        (latest_mail_index_date - month)
>      - when parsing mbox or saving message, parse the mail through
> index-mail
>        so things gets saved into cache immediately

I'm still not convinced the cache file is shrinking properly for me. Do
entries get expired after a set time at the moment (in 1.0-stable)?
Anyway, it would be nice to be able to configure the lifetime (e.g. may
be less than a month). I've noticed that if you've got a lot of messages
- and I'm being deliberately naughty with my INBOX ;) - doing a full
search will lead to a big cache file, even though the user is less
likely to read the oldest messages.

Best Wishes,
Chris

--
Christopher Wakelin,                           c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
IT Services Centre, The University of Reading,  Tel: +44 (0)118 378 8439
Whiteknights, Reading, RG6 2AF, UK              Fax: +44 (0)118 975 3094