[Dovecot] Automating message archiving

Jens Laas jens.laas at data.slu.se
Fri Jul 1 15:50:28 EEST 2005

(05.07.01 kl.10:24) Steffen Kaiser skrev följande till dovecot at dovecot.org:

> Hallo,
>
> I recently stumple over some discussion about Sieve and what's the advantage
> to integrate it into the server rather than the LDA.
>
> Most of the filtering capabilites local users want to have performed are
> related to the INBOX or more preciesly the way to filter the message coming
> in.
>
> However, there are few tasks left:
>
> 1) Auto-archive old mail.
> 2) Drop old mail.
> 3) "Seen" mails are moved from INBOX to somewhere else.
>
> To 1) Several people love to store each single mail, but because the system
> becomes very slow when they open a mailbox with, day, 5000 messages (Mozilla
> even core dumps sometimes); they archive the mails by year or month, if they
> got elder than, say, 6 month.
> I do not want to discuss this habbit, it's like it is and I have the trouble
> with it.

Ive not worked with sieve but with procmail. I gather sieve is more
powerful so whats possible with procmail should be in sieve.

With procmail simple store copies of all mails into a separate file.
A cronjob can take care of renaming this file at appropriate times.

Disadvantage is you dont archive per imap folder. You get all rolled into
one.

> To 2) There is the doing of dropping all messages flagged as SPAM into a
> specific folder. It would be nice if the does messages are deleted, when they
> grew get elder.

We sort the spam into a separate file. We rename the spam files via a cronjob.
SPAM.1 becomes SPAM.2, SPAM becomes SPAM.1, the old SPAM.2 is overwritten.

> To 3) I don't grasp the idea, but it seems that notebook users want to look,
> what messages are new, flag and download selected ones; when they connect
> next time the "old, already seen" ones should be invisible, but still
> accessable on demand in another folder. Maybe it has to do with that the
> client sometimes reads the whole IMAP INBOX again, instead just the new ones.
> I've seen this behaviour with Mozilla myself in conjunction with a variaty of
> IMAP servers now and then.

That one I dont understand at all.

> Those things must be user-configurable, of course ;-), I hoped Sieve would
> solve this problems, but it doesn't. The MVMF mentioned in the mailing list,
> doesn't as well.
>
> Does somebody has some solution for these tasks, besides to setup a cronjob
> and hack a webinterface?

Well if someone did a webinterface that would be nice. But everyone seems
to have a different setup so this might not be trivial.

Whats wrong with cronjobs ?

Cheers,
Jens

> Is there some Dovecot tool that one can use to manipulate the mail storage?
> UW-IMAP ships such thing (mailutil), but it does not support Maildir and it
> would be nice, when the Dovecot extensions are created well.
>
> Bye,
>
> --
> Steffen Kaiser

     'This mail automatically becomes portable when carried.'
     Jens Låås                              Email: jens.laas at data.slu.se
     Department of Computer Services, SLU   Phone: +46 18 67 35 15
     Vindbrovägen 1
     P.O. Box 7079
     S-750 07 Uppsala
     SWEDEN