[Dovecot] Binc IMAP "IMAPdir" style layout

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Sun Jul 3 17:02:53 EEST 2005

Hi,

>IMAPdir lets me layout mailboxes in the filesystem like so:
>
>$HOME/
>   Maildir/                   <---- users mail goes here
>   Mail/                      <---- IMAP root
>       INBOX -> ../Maildir/   <---- (symlink)
>       folder/                <---- some other mailbox in Maildir format
>       folder.subfolder/      <---- '.' is the hierarchy separator
>       folder.subfolder-2/
>       other-folder/
>
>So IMAP clients subscribe to 'INBOX' and 'folder' and 'folder/subfolder'
>respectively.

The current layout I get with default is:
$HOME/
  Maildir/
    INBOX/
    INBOX.subfolder-of-inbox-if-you-have-any-I-dont/
    folder/
    folder.subfolder/
etc.

Dovecot can even handle (afaik) having inbox in a different place by
simply configuring

default_mail_env =  maildir:/home/%u/Maildir:INBOX=/home/%u/Mail/

I think. Not sure if it can handle INBOX being a maildir. Check the
wiki/docs.

johannes