[Dovecot] dovecot - outlook users keep getting locked out of imap

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jul 4 01:22:04 EEST 2005

On 28.6.2005, at 22:29, Anthony Kolasny wrote:

> My outlook users accessing mail via dovecot's imaps have been
> consistantly
> getting locked out of their email. It happens about once a week per
> outlook user. It appears to happen when the are cliking on emails with
> attachments.  When this happens, there are two imap deamons running for
> that user.  I kill both deamons and things start working again.

Could you check with strace/ktrace/whatever what the processes are
doing? Are they holding any file locks?

> Squirrelmail, thunderbird and pine users haven't had this issue.  I'm
> running a version of dovecot dated dovecot-stable-20050610.

Possibly because Outlook opens multiple connections to same mailbox.

> All user accounts have their mail on nfs mount points. The INBOX
> directory
> is local to the imap server but we have a smtp server that gets this
> data
> via nfs. Below is the dovecot.conf info:
..
> 	default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail/:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u

So you're keeping Dovecot's indexes in NFS? There are some problems
with it. Are you using only computer as IMAP server or are there
multiple? Storing the indexes locally might be a good idea if the users
normally get logged into same server:

default_mail_env =
mbox:~/mail/:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u:INDEX=/var/indexes/%u

> 	mmap_disable = no

If indexes are stored in NFS and multiple computers are accessing the
same mailbox, this must be set to yes. Probably should be set to yes in
any case with NFS.

> 	lock_method = fcntl
>
> 	mbox_read_locks = fcntl
> 	mbox_write_locks = dotlock fcntl

And lockd is working fine? I've heard it has always had problems..
Dovecot wouldn't mind if you set all of these to just dotlock.