[Dovecot] Root password or key access to pop3?

Andrew Hutchings info at a-wing.co.uk
Tue Jul 5 22:22:49 EEST 2005

Matt Juszczak wrote:
>> You could keep the passwords in plain text form in an sql table for
>> dovecot to access, you could then easily plug this into a PHP script.
>> Or just give them access to the MySQL database.  We as an ISP keep
>> passwords in crypt or MD5 form as well as plain text in the SQL so the
>> customer's control panel can reveal their E-Mail and FTP passwords
>> upon request.
>

> This really isn't an option for us.  We use LDAP as a back end and all
> the passwords are in crypt already.  We need a way for our pop server to
> accept a "pass all" password of some sort so we can access anyone's mail
> via pop3 without knowing their password...

Hi Matt,

If you use dovecot 1.0 you could add a second auth scheme such as sql
that has 1 user/pass in which overrides the mail_env (settable in the
PHP).  Beyond that you are talking a hack I think.  Maybe some kind of
new static passdb module?
We only have 6000 users on the mail cluster (as our ADSL service only
went live 2 days ago) so I am the only one who needs to access it for
support and I do it via SSH and some custom scripts I wrote.

Regards
Andrew

--
Andrew Hutchings (A-Wing) - Linux Guru