[Dovecot] Binc IMAP "IMAPdir" style layout

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jul 12 16:34:20 EEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 13:29 -0700, Eric Hall wrote:
>      One problem I've had with using dovecot (and it looks like other
> imap servers do this as well) and a CLI Maildir client (mutt) is that
> whenever
> I access the Maildirs via IMAP, all new messages get moved to cur/.
> Mutt (w/ my config) marks unread messages in cur/ as O (old) rather
> than N (new).  Messages in new/ are marked N, and (the kicker) only
> mailboxes with messages in new/ are marked as having new messages.
> I'd really like to have messages that are accessed via dovecot (IMAP)
> stay in new/, is there a reason that they get moved to cur/ ?  I've
> dug around some (both in dovecot and general maildir googling),
> haven't found an answer.

This is because the messages in new/ directory are treated as IMAP's
"recent" messages, ie. messages that have noticed but not read yet. It
would be possible to move the messages later, but it'd break IMAP
protocol then, so I'm not going to implement it.

Although I've seen same feature request for POP3, so I could implement
it for Dovecot's mail accessing functions, so it could be supported for
IMAP with changing only one line in code..

Anyway, why not just make mutt use IMAP and you shouldn't have this
problem?