[Dovecot] Time zone problems with dovecot-1.0-stable (20050705 nightly snapshot)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jul 12 16:51:07 EEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 17:43 -0500, Jon Roma wrote:
> First a few words about my setup.  I'm running on AIX 5.1, with SSL
> enabled.  I had to tweak the dovecot-1.0-stable source tree to get rid
> of the "//"-style comments, since the AIX xlc compiler doesn't like that
> construct.

Yes, these kind of comments shouldn't be there. I've used them only for
"temporary" FIXME-comments, so hopefully when they're all fixed there
are no more // comments.. :)

> And, as with the 0.99.14 build, there's tons of compiler
> warnings about <sys/types.h>, but the applications build and seem to
> generally work fine.

What sys/types.h errors?

> IMAP command, UW-imapd gives me the correctly-localized time, while
> dovecot gives me GMT.
>
> Incidentally, I've tried starting dovecot both with and without chroot
> and even explicitly setting the TZ environment variable on startup,
> both with no effect.

Dovecot deletes the TZ environment (and everything else) before starting
imap process. Doesn't AIX use something similar to /etc/localtime?

Try running imap binary manually, eg.:

MAIL=~/Maildir /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap

and give it the commands to fetch INTERNALDATE (and set TZ if needed?).
If it works, maybe I'll start setting TZ for Dovecot's child processes.