[Dovecot] sorting question

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jul 12 18:59:03 EEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 13:21 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> If I understand the thread sorting algorithm correctly (from
> draft-ietf-imapext-sort-17.txt and the code), it will sort like this
..
> where threads are sorted by the newest child in them. Now, I am thinking
> that evolution simply uses dovecot's THREAD feature and doesn't
> implement anything itself, so that if I wanted to have that kind of
> threading, I'd have to implement it in dovecot. Would this be easy? I'm
> thinking that I should just treat all nodes as if they were dummy nodes
> in sort_root_nodes, but that only fixes the first level afaict, because
> later dates are not propagated up. Essentially, I think what the
> algorithm tb uses does is not use a nodes date as it's sorting
> criterion, but it's newest child, and apply this rule recursively.
>
> Does anyone else think this feature would be useful? I regularly end up
> almost missing mail because it is sorted at such a low position and I
> don't see the thread at all..

Unfortunately Evolution sorts this way internally, otherwise I would
have implemented that kind of better threading long time ago as an
(RFC-breaking) option.

There have been some talk in past in IMAP mailinglists about adding some
options to THREAD command to change its behavior in different ways.
Would be nice, but not a very high priority for me..