[Dovecot] Very slow select() command on large mailboxes

Sebastjan Trepca trepca at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 12:59:36 EEST 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to decide if I could use you mail server in our enviroment which
has about 10k users and mailboxes size about ~1GB.
So I made a few tests and it all worked quite fast, except that select
command on large mailboxes. The first time I select a mailbox which has 10k
messages it takes about 4s to process. I am deliberately trying this on a
Celeron 850Mhz, 512 MB memory and some shitty hard-drive to maximize the
times.
So why is this so slow? Does it index the messages on select? It's even
slower when I have some new messages in folder, more that I have more I
wait. So I presume it must be something with indexing? Anyway, how could I
optimize this? Why don't you index when a mail arrives instead of on select?

Thanks for help and keep doing a great job with Dovecot.

Sebastjan