[Dovecot] Very slow select() command on large mailboxes

Jakob Hirsch jh at plonk.de
Thu Jul 14 15:32:24 EEST 2005

Tomi Hakala wrote:

>>Why don't you index when a mail arrives instead of on
>>select?
> You need to use Dovecot LDA ($PREFIX/libexec/dovecot/deliver) to
> get messages indexed on delivery. It works like maildrop, mail is
> read from stdin and recipient is given with -d parameter.

So this is what dovecot-deliver is about? I guessed so but wasn't sure.

What's the status of it? I have maildrop right now, which runs fine, but
it's a relict from my courier setup and I already wanted to replace it
with my MTA's (Exim) internal delivery function.
I didn't find any docs for the LDA (but people having corrupted indexes
instead), so I'm a little bit reluctant. And does it provide a feasible
filter? I use maildrop's .mailfilter for delivering in subfolders for
different mailing-lists e.g.