[Dovecot] Feature Request - Authentication Scheme - Linuxconf

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Sun Jul 17 01:59:22 EEST 2005

This would make my life a lot easier in migrating to Dovecot. And it
should be really easy to implement. Here's how linuxconf does it:

Password files are placed in the /etc/vmail directory as follows:

/etc/vmail/passwd.domain1
/etc/vmail/shadow.domain1
/etc/vmail/passwd.domain2
/etc/vmail/shadow.domain2

The password and shadow files are exactly the same format as the
/etc/password and /etc/shadow files. The user name within the files
would be the %n part of the email address passed to authenticate with.

Basically the password file names are /etc/vmail/passwd.%d with the user
withing the file being %n.

marc:x:40000:12:Marc Perkel:/vhome/perkel.com/home/marc:/bin/false
test:x:40001:12::/vhome/perkel.com/home/test:/bin/false
dd:x:40002:12:Atia:/vhome/perkel.com/home/dd:/bin/false
test2:x:40003:12::/vhome/perkel.com/home/test2:/bin/false

It also makes merging several servers with separate passwd/shadow files
into one virtual system because all you have to do is copy their
existing passwd/shadow files into the /etc/vmail directory and rename
them with the domain at the end.

So - wouldn't that be easy to add? Sure would make migrating easy for me.

Marc Perkel - marc at perkel.com

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com
    My Blog: http://marc.perkel.com