[Dovecot] linux 2.4 vs 2.6 kernel

Brian Bartholomew bb at stat.ufl.edu
Tue Jul 19 05:37:04 EEST 2005

I can heartily recommend reiserfs on kernel 2.4 for Intel and Sparc.
My spam filtering setup currently has 27K files in a quarantine dir,
and it works just fine.  In a year and a half over 50 machines I've
had three corrupted reiserfs filesystems, none of them on production
machines, at least one of which I can blame on a bad disk.  I would
not be surprised to learn they were all bad disks, because the disks
are five+ years old.  For the last one I moved the bad dir aside where
it sat peacefully for a week, and when I fsck'ed it the more
aggressive mode of fsck coredumped partway through and it became
unaccessable.  I then restored it from the tar I had made prior.

							Brian