[Dovecot] linux 2.4 vs 2.6 kernel

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Tue Jul 19 21:36:11 EEST 2005

Marcus Rueckert wrote:

>On 2005-07-19 11:14:03 +1000, vmstech wrote:
>

>Quick answer:
>
>ext3 with dir_index is fine.
>this link has some nice speed comparision:
>http://lwn.net/Articles/10904/
>
>hope this helps
>
>darix
>
>p.s.: my personal preference is XFS.

Wow - that's interesting. I didn't know there was a btree option for
Ext3. I thought only Reiser had that. If this actually works then it
should perform like Reiser.

Not trying to get into a religious war about file systems but when you
are looking at 100,000 files in a single directory you need a database
type index to get any performance. That's why I'm a reiser fan for this
purpose. If Ext3 has that then that's exciting. Of course you have to do
whatever it takes to make that work because Ext3 didn't used to be that
way.

Does XFS have a btree search in it?