[Dovecot] linux 2.4 vs 2.6 kernel

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Wed Jul 20 00:10:19 EEST 2005

vmstech wrote:

>>Wow - that's interesting. I didn't know there was a btree option for
>>Ext3. I thought only Reiser had that. I
>>

>is btree and htree the same thing? Sorry - way out of my depth here.

I doubt they are exactly the same but the concept is that a tree
required to get speed is what they have in common. If you don't have a
tree then you have to do a linear search. If you have 100,000 files in a
directory it will take an average of 50,000 comparisons for every file
you open. That can get really slow. In a tree system you'll probably
have under 10 comparisons. That's why people prefer Reiser for Maildir
where you have lots of files in one directory.

If you had a few big files and wanted speed then Ext3 is faster. If you
have lots of little files in a single directory you want reiser.

Marc Perkel - marc at perkel.com

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com
    My Blog: http://marc.perkel.com