[Dovecot] Another minor IMAP LIST issue

Todd Vierling tv at duh.org
Wed Jul 20 20:14:49 EEST 2005

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Chris Wakelin wrote:

> I've just noticed that Dovecot 1.0-stable and 1.0-test78 don't include
> mbox folders with names beginning with "." in the IMAP LIST output.

You know, I was going to suggest the same thing this weekend.  It is a
problem with Pine remote address books, if the remote addrbook uses a
dotfile folder.  The addressbook folder doesn't show up in LIST, so Pine
tries to create it, and upon create, it gets a "Folder exists" error because
it does already exist.  This change should go into Dovecot to improve Pine
compatibility if nothing else.

I'm actually moving to maildir soon, but I think this option might be useful
there too.  Yes, I know that a directory named '.foo..bar' or '..foo.bar'
looks odd, but it should IMHO be possible.  The code to do so would be a
little more complex, of course, because the first dot is a folder separator
while the next dot(s) would be part of the folder name.