[Dovecot] Dovecot vs.Clients - strange behaviour, diagnostics sought

Jeroen Scheerder Jeroen.Scheerder at phil.uu.nl
Fri Jul 22 14:57:17 EEST 2005

Todd Vierling wrote:

[...]

>>>That's it.  Thunderbird tried to talk ssl to a plain imap service, which
>>>horribly failed.
>>
>>Well, having an IMAPS-only dovecot on port 994 fixed things for Thunderbird,
>

> Why is it on port 994 -- is that a typo?

No.  I'm testing the water for dovecot deployment, and have set up dovecot
side by side with another IMAP daemon (so a loaded and active mailstore is
available).

Thunderbird seems to run fine now; a matter of applying the proper ssl_listen
to get that port pure SSL, alongside a clear-plus-starttls one.

It looks like Mail.app treats "non-standard" ports differently.  On the
standard port (993), the "SSL" option seems to do pure SSL; but with another
port specified, it does clean-plus-starttls (and hence fails horribly, because
it's talking to a pure SSl service).

Regards, Jeroen.